Friday 16 March 2012

The Birthday Disaster

Many of the children entered short stories in the Radio 2 500 words competition. In total a staggering 74,000 stories were entered nationally.

On Thursday we received the fantastic news that Alana's story has made it through to the next phase of judging. Only two thousand stories go forward to the next stage which makes Alana's achievement even more special. Well done Alana!



The Birthday Disaster - Alana Pigott

Hi my name is Kate. Has your birthday ever been a disaster? Mine has! It started at the zoo when my first disaster struck. My birthday has finally come and my party.

It was my tenth birthday. We were going to the zoo as a birthday treat, we saw: monkeys, lions, tigers, camels, red hogs, flamingos, birds and as well farm animals. We were looking at the Flamingos, while the Birds that were opposite were getting fed. The zoo keeper opened the cage to let them fly for a bit. The birds flew beautifully but there was one problem they were heading to me! I turned away as they flew closer and closer, bang I ran straight into a bench. Ouch it really hurt, once it was all cleaned up we went bowling.


I picked a shiny blue ball that looked like a tiny planet. When we were half way through the game it looked liked Hannah was winning, but not for long because I won with an amazing 500 points! For the second game we swapped balls which were not good. I got a green ball that looked like a beautiful garden. It was my turn. If I got a strike I would win the whole game. I collected my ball and OW! I dropped the ball on my foot and that really hurt, so my knees and my foot were hurting and they were sore. After a while we all started to get a bit hungry.


We decided to go for something to eat, my choice was the pizza house but it was all full so was the steak house. We ended up in a Japanese restaurant. How can people eat this stuff, it is horrible. Sushi, raw fish I only like mine in batter, needless to say I did not enjoy my meal. Mum brought the cake into the restaurant and asked our Japanese waitress if she


could light the candles and play happy birthday through the speakers, but we couldn’t really understand her because she was Japanese. So after five minutes we hear music similar to happy birthday, but in Japanese. As the waitress brought the cake in, the candles blew out and the waitress tripped over a chair leg. My cake, my beautiful chocolate cake, flew across the table to land on me. I was covered in chocolate cake; this was not supposed to happen.


When I cleaned up we headed home, my friends were coming too. Mum kindly stopped off to buy a pizza and a new cake. After we had eaten, mum brought the cake in. We all sang happy birthday so there were no disasters from the restaurant till now!!!


How were we to know that my best friend Hannah was allergic to strawberry?! That is when my last and very spotty disaster struck. Hannah ended up in hospital, with red blobs all over her. A very colourful end to a colourful birthday!

1 comment:

  1. that is so sad but great you had a good time anyway

    ReplyDelete